Conflict Rolls

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Conflict Rolls

Post by Haze on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:51 am

Subject to probable re-writing in the near future - I want to make it much clearer and maybe more simple.

Okay, so I've been thinking about character conflict lately and I wanted to come up with something for people to use if they didn't want to use PvP, get into an unstructured emote fight, rely on straight luck in rolls, or invest a lot of time in a DnD style character sheet.

So basically I've just drawn up something really, really simple. You can fill it out in about a minute and you're set.

You get 20 points for your character, to spread between Str, Dex, Special (Force for Sith, aim/etc for others) and Intelligence. Before combat between two characters, each character gets rolls – one for Str, one for Dex, and one for Spec. Those rolls are added to their points in those attributes, and whichever character has the highest total of each attribute wins the roll. So, a char with high Str is likely to always win the Str roll, but could lose the other two and lose the fight.

The rolls take place before the combat is RP’d. After a winner is decided, the players roleplay out the fight, without telling any onlookers who won the rolls. This means they can add tension and drama to the fight without causing arguments or conflict. Intelligence is used for rolls outside of combat, like dejarik games or tactical manoeuvres.

Here's a couple of character examples, and a simulated battle between them:

John:
Str: 5
Dex: 8
Spec: 3(+1)

Int: 4

Military training: +1 to Spec

Pete:
Str: 6
Dex: 3(+1)
Spec: 6

Int: 5

Force Sensitive: +1 to Dex

So, we've got two reasonably balanced characters. Neither of them are extremely good or extremely bad at anything really, aside from John who has a pretty damn high dexterity rating. So, both characters get a Str roll, a Dex roll, and a Spec roll.

John:
Str: 9
Dex: 7
Spec: 10

If we add those rolls to his base stats we get:

John:
Str: 14
Dex: 15
Spec: 13(+1)

Now for Pete's rolls. He's going to need to do pretty damn well to beat that.

Pete:
Str: 2
Dex: 10
Spec: 6

If we add those rolls to Pete's base stats we get:

Pete:
Str: 8
Dex: 13(+1)
Spec: 12

So John won all three rolls, but it was pretty close in places. The players spend a minute going through the above process, and now they know John will win the fight. Now they roleplay it out, adding twists and turns for any spectators - who don't know who is going to eventually win. If the players want, they can use the Str/Dex/Spec rolls as inspiration. For example, one character could win a Str roll by a massive amount, but lose the dex and spec rolls. The players could roleplay that as one of the characters sending really powerful blows towards the other one, but always being dodged around and tricked.

If anyone's interested in this, please post below or contact me however. If I've explained it poorly I'm happy to go through it again with you and help you build your characters. So far about four or five people are involved in this, so you'll have other people to try it out with.

As a note: All rolls will be D10, all stats are 1-10 (Modifiers can push values over 10). Modifiers will be added when appropriate, but used with restraint. Don't expect to see anyone getting +4 strength because their character lifts.
Haze

Back to top Go down

Re: Conflict Rolls

Post by Haze on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:33 pm

Nah that seems decent. They way that'd work is you'd roll 10, and add Lars' value to that roll.

Though... perhaps it might be simpler just to roll the values.
Haze

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top